The University of Iowa Center for Advancement (UICA) seeks an assistant/associate vice president, data analytics. This position promotes data-driven insight and serves as a key driver in defining the Analytics vision and road-map across the organization. Develops, refines and scales analytics procedures, systems and workflows. Provides clear direction on best practices in developing and implementing data science solutions. Identifies opportunities and recommends resolutions for business issues.
• Provides thought leadership and drives innovation in the application of analytics and alignment of analytics capability with organizational goals and strategy; collaborates with leaders across the organization to bring and share best practices
• Fosters and evangelizes a data-driven culture that uses advanced analytics and new technologies in focused and programmatic ways to drive productivity, donor and employee experience, and operational excellence
• Provides broad leadership for the data science and business intelligence functions; partners with team, clients and subject matter experts across the organization to determine how data may be collected, analyzed, and used to solve problems, inform organizational decisions, and drive critical business processes and outcomes; employs advanced tools and techniques in decision science, probability, statistics, and applied mathematics to deliver innovative thinking and best-in-class solutions that add specific measurable business value; serves as subject matter expert and resource to other units in support of advances in use of data and business intelligence
• Oversees prospect research and prospect management functions and provides leadership to staff who work to uncover, use, and share information in support of fundraising goals and strategies across the organization
• Works with the data warehouse team to design and implement the strategy needed to methodically and iteratively structure, test, validate, and communicate data-driven insights from complex sources and significant volumes of data
• Manages all aspects of the employee lifecycle from recruitment and onboarding through separation; empowers employees to take responsibility for their jobs and prioritizes trust and transparent communication as the basis for a productive relationship; supports employees in developing meaningful goals aligned with those of the unit and UICA and in achieving/surpassing those goals; manages performance through clear expectations and ongoing feedback; supports employees struggling to meet expectations for productivity, quality, and goal attainment; identifies and anticipates competency gaps within individuals and the unit as a whole; motivates, develops, coaches, and rewards employees for growth in competencies over time, leading to new opportunities for subject matter expertise or leadership; works to achieve optimum results for employees, self, unit, and UICA; creates a work environment that is consistent with UICA mission/vision and that emphasizes our organizational culture and values
• Plans and oversees the overall operational, reporting, budgetary, and financial responsibilities of assigned unit; develops and maintains work systems, procedures, and productivity standards that advance the mission and goals of the unit and enable optimum performance of the people and other resources within it; allocates resources to effectively accomplish the work of the unit; monitors, evaluates, and aims to improve effectiveness of unit operations; makes business decisions that are consistent with UICA mission/vision and our organizational culture and values.
Bachelor degree in mathematics, statistics or computer science or related field; Advanced degree preferred
10+ years’ working experience in the field of research, advanced analytics or data-driven insights
5+ years people management experience – hiring, coaching, developing and training
Experience with a wide variety of data inputs including audience segmentation, consumer insights, social listening and surveys to support strategic planning and measurement
Experience translating data analysis into actionable recommendations and client-facing presentations
Attention to detail and the ability to incorporate internal and external feedback on an iterative basis
Ability to leverage business experience / acumen to identify new, innovative business and marketing opportunities
Must have superior multi-tasking, networking, time management and interpersonal skills
Strong communication, presentation and collaboration skills
About University of Iowa Center for Advancement
By working for the UICA, you can play an important role in providing life-changing opportunities, not just for students pursuing their career goals, but for individuals around the world who benefit from the University's services and programs, and from leading-edge research and advancements in medicine.
The University of Iowa Center for Advancement (UICA) is an independent nonprofit located on the north edge of campus, formed by joining the UI Alumni Association and the UI Foundation. Our mission is to advance the University of Iowa through engagement and philanthropy, and we are committed to engaging everyone who loves the University of Iowa—alumni, fans, patients, art lovers, students, parents, and friends—through programming, events, and opportunities to give back. By working for the UICA, you can play an important role in providing life-changing opportunities, not just for students pursuing their career goals, but for individuals around the world who benefit from the University's services and programs, and from leading-edge research and advancements in medicine. Learn more at http://www.foriowa.org/ and www.foriowa.org/careers/.