Posting 2019.207 Position Developer, Business Intelligence Department Institutional Research & Planning Status Staff, 100% full-time, Permanent
Start Date As soon as possible after closing date
Salary Scale $4,938.54 - $5,805.43 per month (Staff pay group 10)
Review Date September 30, 2019
The University of the Fraser Valley (UFV) is nationally recognized for its emphasis on teaching excellence, experiential and applied education, community engagement, and Indigenization. UFV is the school of choice for over 15,000 students. With six campuses and centres, UFV offers undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, and professional studies, as well as trades and technology education, university preparation, and continuing education.
At UFV, we are dedicated to changing lives and building community. Our educational goals are to prioritize learning everywhere; be flexible and responsive; collaborate across boundaries; develop local and global citizenship; and integrate experiential learning. A British Columbia “Top Employer”, we are committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive and dynamic learning and working environment that is fair and respectful of everyone. Our culturally diverse employee and student populations reflect the local, national, international and Indigenous communities we serve. If you see yourself as a lifelong member of a community that values and nurtures innovation and creativity, cultivates leadership and citizenship, and where success builds on success, you belong at UFV.
The Department of Institutional Research and Planning at the University of the Fraser Valley invites applications for a Business Intelligence Developer.
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Associate VP Institutional Research and Planning, the Business Intelligence Developer is responsible for maintaining and further developing the Business Intelligence tool and associated Data Warehouse. Working together with members of the university, this position leads the development of the BI project. This entails data modelling, configuring reporting applications and portals, developing new dashboards, and training staff end-users. The Developer is responsible for making data submissions to external bodies and works on other projects including their creation, data collection, analysis, and presentation.
· Applying standard data definitions, transformations and business rules to create Data Marts and Data Warehouse
· Responsible for the BI tool to provide self-serve data for the university
· Managing and administering Business Intelligence and ETL Servers and Client software
· Designing and developing reporting templates and dashboards using the BI tool
· Responsible for data submission and accuracy using data extraction tools; working with users to verify and clean data
· Performing regular and ad-hoc reporting for management, faculty and external bodies
· Designing and developing consistent, scalable data reports and reporting applications
· Designing and carrying out research projects and presenting findings
· Training colleagues to utilize Business Intelligence software for data warehousing, data extraction and testing, and dashboards
· Leading end user training for reporting applications and dashboards; promoting the use of BI dashboards
Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, or related field
Minimum three (3) years’ of related experience. This experience should include several of: business analysis, report writing, Data Warehousing, and the development and implementation of Business Intelligence tools and analytical applications
Ability to detail the functionality of these systems to management; excellent presentation skills
Ability to analyse complex problems, evaluate confidential data, and make sound decisions
Ability to work independently and with an attention to detail
Project management experience is an asset
Preferably experience with Enterprise Resource Planning software
Strong analytical and computer skills, skills in statistics and problem-solving
Proficiency in management of at least one of the following databases platforms: Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle
Expertise with BI software