Primary Purpose: Responsible for the implementation of large-scale data and reporting projects, including the design of specialized analytical reports and the production of enhanced reporting capabilities. This position will provide data analysis and modeling to help strategically identify enhanced fundraising opportunities through data mining and market analysis. Responsible for working collaboratively with staff members, business units, partners, and vendors to develop and implement projects that leverage technology, best practices, or innovation to improve organizational performance.
Essential Functions: 1. Develops and produces reports and analysis comparing historical and operational measurements for planning, analytics, and forecasting.
Works with Development and Alumni Relations Division key managers, and other functional areas to specify and develop advanced data extracts, data access, and reports, delivers data from operational data stores and transaction processing systems.
Manipulate data from primary or secondary data sources to produce complex reports and data sets; streamlining data to eliminate duplication of efforts and manual data manipulation.
2. Analyzes and reports on the strategic and operational performances of business units. Creates analytical reports to support university-wide goals and objectives for fundraising by comparing performance against standards and best practices.
3. Produces reports with analysis comparing historical and operational measurements for planning, analytics and forecasting.
4. Collaborates with University and divisional functional analysts, IT staff and Institutional Research Office to establish analytical data operations, improve reporting systems and report access.
5. Applies understanding of divisional business operations and information requirements to evaluate/design, build/test and fully implement new services and information systems tools with partners in IT and the Division.
6. Consults with stakeholders to identify business, functional or technical requirements and solutions by assessing needs; analyzing complex business challenges using various methods such as task analysis, business process mapping, and surveys; conducting research; documenting workflows; and proposing viable recommendations.
7. Evaluates reporting, new forms and reports as provided in conjunction with system upgrades and enhancements.
8. Improves core and functional competencies by keeping current with new development and best practices, communicating with peers, participating in learning opportunities, and surveying relevant literature.
9. Validates information in data extracts and reports using critical thinking and resolves errors. Reviews information carefully and accurately using University business procedures, systems procedures, historical data trends, benchmarks, past reports and IRS/CASE standards as guidelines.
10. Coordinates, documents, and maintains reporting procedures and processes that efficiently enhance data access.
11. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Associates degree or higher.
Three (3) years experience providing analytical support.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, email, and specifically a high level of technical proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
Proficiency with a CRM, EMR, or Relational database.
Significant experience with reporting tools, such as ARGOS, COGNOS, Crystal Reports, or similar software.
A Bachelors or Masters degree in related field.
Ability to meet stringent deadlines in a high pressure, demanding environment.
Experience with Banner database.
Ability to write and execute SQL queries.
Experience building reports with ARGOS.
Experience with business intelligence reporting tools, such as R, Python, or Power BI.
Familiarity with higher education, fundraising, and/or financial transactions.
Understanding of / experience with data analytics, and predictive models.
Experience with reporting design.
Ability to analyze needs and propose solutions, identify and understand business requirements, needs, problems, and opportunities; collect and analyze data from different sources to draw conclusions.
Ability to consult with clients, peers and/or managers to develop requirements, solve problems and/or proactively establish technical directions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or develop appropriate solutions.
Experience taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences to achieve positive results.
Ability to plan and implement assignments, develop action plans, obtain resources, and complete assignments in a timely manner both independently and as part of a team.
Experience communicating effectively. Ability to express thoughts, feelings, and ideas in a clear, concise, respectful and compelling manner in both individual and group situations; actively listen to others; adjust style to capture the attention of the audience; develop and deploy targeted communication strategies that inform and build support.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general technology magazines and reports for application to support business operations and improvements.
Experience writing or editing basic reports and business correspondence as well as procedural policies, procedures and processes.
Effective collaboration and networking skills to effect positive business partnerships. Ability to develop and use a network of collaborative relationships with internal and external contacts to in a way that meets the strategic and operational business needs of the organization.
Ability to think strategically, identify emerging trends and issues and make suggestions for technology modifications to solve current and prevent future problems.
Demonstrated adaptability and ability to maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks, the work environment, or conditions affecting the organization (for example, economic, political, cultural, or technological); remain open to new people, thoughts, and approaches; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
Ability to appreciate and leverage diversity. Ability to value and apply the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals; work effectively with individuals having diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and backgrounds, including cultural differences.
Experience driving results, identifying opportunities for improvement and setting well-defined goals related to technology use and solutions, best practices, or innovation.
Ability to orchestrate efforts, measure, and report on progress; achieve goals and produce exceptional results.
Models personal development and actively identifying new areas for ones own personal learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; applying newly gained knowledge and skill on the job.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Occasional standing, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling and reaching. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds. May require use of mobile devices to support business needs.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment with use of computer and phone. Work is primarily performed during standard business hours of 8AM 5PM, M-F. Additional evening or weekend hours may be required to meet business needs or deadlines. Occasional travel to additional campuses and locations for business, training and education may be required periodically.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented.