The Executive Revenue Cycle Optimization Director is responsible for leading a group of revenue cycle optimization analysts to support revenue cycle operations in achieving maximum efficiency and performance. Responsibilities include providing analytical reporting, operational support on identifying issues, opportunities for revenue cycle improvement. Working collaboratively and in tandem with other leadership, this position will help facilitate best practice models and execute plans for standardization and improvement.
1. Directly manage a team of Revenue Cycle Analysts (RCAs) who function as departmental liaisons to communicate performance issues, results.
2. Directs the RCAs on developing custom analysis and reports that identify trends and root causes adversely impacting accounts receivable and revenue targets.
3. Establishes and directs ongoing lines of communication with clinical department administration and faculty. Identifies specific issues impacting revenue that necessitate discussions with faculty. Serves as a revenue cycle subject matter expert for questions to reconcile complex revenue cycle issues.
4. Responsible for accessing the impact of new programs, system implementations or modifications, and facility changes and oversees the impact analysis on revenue, reimbursement, and established processes.
5. Provide recommendations for issue resolution and performance improvement to managers and clinical departments. Conducts monthly revenue cycle review sessions with each department.
6. Directs the team on revenue cycle optimization analytics and assessments. Assessments of revenue cycle processes may include the integration of clinical and front end operations within the revenue cycle, complex historic trending and reimbursement analysis and industry trends.
7. Directs RCA team on payer issue resolution and liaisons with Managed Care Contracting Office. Expected to work across the enterprise revenue cycle to discern AR issues and trends that need to be addressed with the payer for resolution.
8. Works closely with FPO, CRO, and Clinical Department leadership to identify and implement strategies to improve revenue cycle performance across the organization, including recommendations to managed care office on contract negotiations to eliminate the potential for denials and impact to gross revenue.
9. Directs the team to work collaboratively with clinical departments, FPO administration including CBO, FPO Finance, Epic Enterprise, PO Managed Care, FPO Practice Operations, FPO Office of Billing Compliance, and clinical department leaders to identify core practice management and clinical workflows that drive the revenue of departments. Using knowledge of the industry and institutional best practices develops practical, multi-step recommendations for improving workflow and moving toward optimal performance.
10. Oversees Revenue Cycle Charge Champion program
11. Directs the team to provide training, mentoring, and leadership for departmental and practice staff who are learning higher level practice management skills and concepts. Trains clinicians in revenue cycle concepts as needed.
12. Represent at committees, task forces, and/or revenue cycle workgroups. Lead meetings as needed.
13. Communicate effectively with colleagues and leadership.
14. Perform other tasks or management responsibilities as required by leadership.
1. BA/BS degree or equivalent in education and experience, plus ten years of experience. 2. Minimum of 7 years' experience of progressive and related experience in physician billing or practice management, preferably in an academic medical center. 3. Minimum of 5 years of management experience in revenue cycle or revenue integrity consulting 4. Demonstrated skills in A/R management, revenue integrity, problem assessment, and resolution, and collaborative problem-solving in complex, interdisciplinary settings. 5. Demonstrated management and leadership skills. 6. Strong analytical skills in order to detect and resolve problems related to accounts receivable and system implementations 7. Demonstrated proficiency in business intelligence applications. 8. Ability to prioritize and deliver on key initiatives; demonstrated success in the achievement of key performance metrics targets within time and budget constraints. 9. Ability to develop training curriculum and conduct training sessions regarding billing functions & activities. 10. Ability to work collaboratively with other leaders in a large team setting. 11. Demonstrated ability to structure, process qualitative or quantitative data, and draw insightful conclusions from it. 12. Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills 13. Ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously. 14. Must be a motivated individual with a positive and exceptional work ethic.
MBA or Masters is preferred
Knowledge of Epic billing system, Experian, Cognos, Microsoft Applications.
Knowledge of electronic billing systems and workflows: front end and back end.
Certified Coder experience is a plus.
Project management certification is a plus.
Job Specific Competencies:
Preferred Minimum Proficiency Level
Business Skills & Knowledge
Communication & Relationship Management
Planning and Organizing
Quality Orientation/Attention to detail
Preferred Minimum Proficiency Level
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Internal Number: 507778
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.