Under limited supervision, is responsible for the design and coding of the scripts required to extract, transform, cleanse and move data and associated metadata from various Managed Care data sources, both internal and external, in support of the defined overall data warehouse/business intelligence architecture. This role will require the ability to follow and refine the standards to be used in building modular, extensible ETL packages using the Microsoft BI stack (SSIS/SSAS). Architecting and tuning of production ETL processes and schedules will be a critical component of this job. This person is also responsible for designing, managing and updating the logical data models for the data warehouse and business intelligence solution. Will require the ability to follow and apply design standards to be used in creating data models in support of a multi-tiered data warehouse utilizing commercial data modeling tools. Ability to evaluate source systems data models, profile source system data content, and capture associated metadata as part of the design process will be crucial to this role.
*Remote Opportunity. Must be Colorado resident*
1. Code and test extraction, transformation, and load (ETL) processes to support a multi-layer data warehouse architecture
2. Map source systems/file data to data warehouse data models
3. Work with business analysts, vendors, functional subject matter experts and systems documentation to understand source data systems and file structures for the purposes of designing and building acquisition code (ETL).
4. Define and capture metadata and business rules associated with ETL processes, including but not limited to load processing steps, change data capture, and error handling functionality.
5. Adapt ETL processes to accommodate changes in source systems and evolving business requirements
6. Create and maintain production ETL schedules and conduct on-going load performance management and tuning.
7. Define standards for modular and extensible ETL practices and oversee their use by other developers.
8. Designs conceptual and logical data models for the data warehouse and associated presentation layers. Communicate these designs with proper documentation to the technical team and work with the database administrator on the design and creation of the physical databases.
9. Profile source systems data content, creating and analyzing the resulting metadata to understand the condition of the data in regards to quality, meaning and business use, in support of data model designs, data quality management, and data warehouse metadata capture.
10. Work with business analysts and functional subject matter experts to understand data requirements for the ongoing development of the data warehouse solution.
11. Develops processes for capturing and maintaining metadata from all data warehousing components
12. Evolves models to meet new and changing business requirements, maintaining the models to reflect current production reality at all times using version control and SDLC practices.
3. Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Management, or related field
2. Two years of experience in the analysis, design, documentation, build and maintenance of complex data models in a data warehouse environment required.
3. A strong background in health care systems data usage is preferred.
4. In lieu of a Bachelor's degree:* Associate's degree and 7 years relevant experience required* High school diploma/GED and 8 years relevant experience required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Expertise with ETL Design and Coding in Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence environments, including the ability to design and execute using industry best practice approaches to ETL with the Microsoft BI Stack (SSIS/SSAS) running on SQL Server 2008R2 and later versions.
2. Expertise in relational and dimensional data model design for Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence environments, including the ability to design and execute data models using industry best practice approaches for extensibility, ease of use, and performance in the Microsoft SQL Server / BI Stack environment.
3. Expertise in source systems data structures, change data capture practices, load architectures and target data structures, ETL processes and products.
4. Expertise in problem-solving with the ability to research, analyze and propose solutions to complex data related issues.
5. Ability to translate business needs into technical solutions. Expertise in communicating and collaborating on the design and physical implementation of data models with team members and stakeholders.
6. Other data warehousing and business intelligence skills include working knowledge of: SDLC practices, server and database environment management, data warehouse and BI architecture, data cleansing and data quality management, data governance, master data management.
7. Working knowledge of Health Care related information systems including; QNXT; Altruista, MedImpact, and health care related data is strongly preferred.
Computers and Technology
1. Microsoft SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS, Data Modeling Software (i.e. ER Studio, Erwin)
All job applicants for safety-sensitive positions must pass a pre-employment drug test, once a conditional offer of employment has been made.
Denver Health is an integrated, efficient, high-quality academic health care system that is considered a model for the nation. The Denver Health system includes the Rocky Mountain Regional Level I Trauma Center, a 525-bed acute care medical center, Denver's 911 emergency medical response system, 8 family health centers, 15 school-based health centers, the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center, the Denver Public Health Department, an HMO, and The Denver Health Foundation.
As Colorado's primary safety net institution, Denver Health is a mission-driven organization that has provided more than $3.3 billion in care for the uninsured in the last ten years. Denver Health is a leader in performance and quality improvements and remains financially secure, in part, due to its nationally recognized implementation of lean principles in healthcare. Denver Health is a major resource to the community, serving approximately 185,000 individuals and 67,000 children a year.
Located just south of downtown Denver, Denver Health is just minutes away from many of the cultural and recreational activities Denver has to offer.
We strongly support diversity in the workforce and Denver Health is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
"Denver Health is committed to provide equal treatment and equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Denver Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class."
Internal Number: 2986
About Denver Health
Take your career to the next level at Denver Health, where we offer a robust benefits package and endless opportunities for growth. Denver Health is a nationally-ranked, locally-trusted, premier healthcare institution located in the heart of Denver, Colorado.Twenty-five percent of all Denver residents, or approximately 150,000 individuals, receive their health care here. We are known as an integrated health care system that encompasses multidisciplinary academic specialties, a community health system, a level I adult trauma center, pediatric emergency and urgent care center home to Denver Public Health and many of the nation’s leaders in medicine.